Monday 2 July 2012

Audition for Sir Toby & Sir Andrew


Audition for Sir Toby & Sir Andrew

SIR TOBY BELCH
O knight thou lackest a cup of canary: when did I see thee so put down?
SIR ANDREW
Never in your life, I think. Methinks sometimes I have no more wit than a Christian or an ordinary man has: but I am a great eater of beef and I believe that does harm to my wit.
SIR TOBY BELCH
No question.
SIR ANDREW
An I thought that, I’d forswear it. I’ll ride home tomorrow, Sir Toby.
SIR TOBY BELCH
Pourquoi, my dear knight?
SIR ANDREW
What is ‘Pourquoi’? do or not do? I would I had bestowed that time in the tongues that I have in fencing, dancing and bear-baiting:
O, had I but followed the arts!
SIR TOBY BELCH
Then hadst thou had an excellent head of hair.
SIR ANDREW
Why, would that have mended my hair?
SIR TOBY BELCH
Past question; for thou seest it will not curl by nature.
SIR ANDREW
But it becomes me well enough, does’t not?
SIR TOBY BELCH
Excellent; it hangs like flax on a distaff.
SIR ANDREW
Faith, I’ll home to-morrow, Sir Toby: your niece will not be seen; or if she be, it’s four to one she’ll none of me: the count himself here hard by woos her.
SIR TOBY BELCH
She’ll none o’ the count: she’ll not match above her degree, neither in estate, years, nor wit; I have heard her swear’t.
Tut, there’s life in’t, man.
SIR ANDREW
I’ll stay a month longer. I am a fellow o’ the strangest mind I’ the world; I delight in masques and revels sometimes altogether.
SIR TOBY BELCH
Art thou good at these kickshawses, knight?
SIR ANDREW
As any man in Illyria, whatsoever he be.
SIR TOBY BELCH
What is thy excellence in a galliard, knight?
SIR ANDREW
Faith, I can cut a caper.
SIR TOBY BELCH
And I can cut the mutton to’t.
SIR ANDREW
And I think I have the back-trick simply as strong as any man in Illyria.
SIR TOBY BELCH
Wherefore are these things hid? Wherefore have these gifts a curtain before ‘em? My very walk should be a jig; I did think, by the excellent constitution of thy leg, it was formed under the star of a galliard.
SIR ANDREW
Ay, ‘tis strong. Shall we set about some revels?
SIR TOBY BELCH
What shall we do else? Let me see the caper;
Ha! Higher: Ha, ha! Excellent!
______________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment