Monday 2 July 2012

Audition for Sir Toby & Maria


Audition for Sir Toby & Maria

SIR TOBY BELCH
What a plague means my niece, to take the death of her brother thus? I am sure care's an enemy to life.
MARIA
By my troth, Sir Toby, you must come in earlier o' nights: your cousin, my lady, takes great exceptions to your ill hours.
You must confine yourself within the modest limits of order.
SIR TOBY BELCH
Confine! I'll confine myself no finer than I am: these clothes are good enough to drink in; and so be these boots too.
MARIA
That quaffing and drinking will undo you: I heard my lady talk of it yesterday; and of a foolish knight that you brought in one night here to be her wooer.
SIR TOBY BELCH
Who, Sir Andrew Aguecheek?
MARIA
Ay, he.
SIR TOBY BELCH
He's as tall a man as any's in Illyria.
MARIA
What's that to the purpose?
SIR TOBY BELCH
Why, he has three thousand ducats a year.
MARIA
Ay, but he's a very fool and a prodigal.
SIR TOBY BELCH
Fie, that you'll say so! He plays o' the viol-de-gamboys, and speaks three or four languages word for word without book, and hath all the good gifts of nature.
MARIA
He hath indeed: for besides that he's a fool, he's a great quarreller:
'Tis thought among the prudent he would quickly have the gift of a grave.
SIR TOBY BELCH
By this hand, they are scoundrels and subtractors that say so of him. Who are they?
MARIA
They that add, moreover, he's drunk nightly in your company.
SIR TOBY BELCH
With drinking healths to my niece: I'll drink to her as long as there is a passage in my throat and drink in Illyria.
What, wench! For here comes Sir Andrew Agueface.

No comments:

Post a Comment